Beginning as the “Women’s Committee” in 1950, The Guild of the Jacksonville Symphony Association (JSA) has given substantial financialsupport to our Jacksonville Symphony while spearheading innovative music education for school children of the First Coast.
The Concert Committee of the Jacksonville Symphony Association sold tickets to the first concert of the newly-formed Jacksonville Symphony Orchestra, and on concert day went to the armory, cleaned the barn-like structure, and set up chairs, returning that evening to hand out program guides. The Concert Committee became the Women’s Committee, later adding the first Pops Concert.The performing season blossomed and programs were moved to the George Washington Hotel.
When Prudential’s South Central home office arrived in town, the concerts relocated to the Prudential Auditorium for larger audience capacity. As the Symphony’s activities expanded, the Women’s Committee was renamed the Women’s Guild.
Well known as the The Guild by 1971, members sought new ways to enhance community participation and found success with Florida’s first Designers Showhouse. Other projects include trips abroad, the Nutcracker Ballet, fashion shows, pops concerts, pre-concert dinners and many more too numerous to mention.
The Guild Education Committee provides a continuing, significant community outreach, devoting itself to supplementing music education to grow our symphony’s audience.
This glance at our past offers inspiration for the future. There is always more to be done, achieved, and accomplished. Our members are a vital, integral part of this important goal of support for the health and success of the Jacksonville Symphony