The Florida Ballet was founded in 1978 by Laurie Picinich-Byrd and Michael Byrd as a presenting organization with the goal of becoming Northeast Florida’s professional ballet company. For over a decade, The Company of The Florida Ballet performed regionally and locally before disbanding in 1989 due to financial restraints. In 2018, The Florida Ballet’s leadership team, re-established our founders’ goal to institute a professional ballet company in Northeast Florida. Substantial growth has already been achieved beginning with three dancers for the 2018/19 season to a current Company of twelve members for the 2020/21 season.
The Florida Ballet enriches and inspires the cultural landscape of our community through the education and art of classical ballet.
- Support creativity and experimentation.
- Accessible, responsive, and welcoming to all.
- The commitment of creating opportunities for the appreciation of cultural differences.
- The commitment to seek innovative ways to collaborate with artists and organizations throughout the region.
- Pursue excellence and distinction in all aspects of programming and operations.
(Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Access)
The Florida Ballet is deeply committed to inclusion, diversity, equity, and access at all levels of our organization. We aim to provide individuals an opportunity to achieve their full potential; be relevant and reflective of the community we serve; recognize value in all voices; and provide an open and welcoming organization where students, dancers, staff, artists, and volunteers of all backgrounds collaboratively learn, work, create and serve resulting in vibrant experiences for all.